Published on March 4th, 2009 | by FuNkwoRm16
5 Ways To Get Through Writer’s Block
We’ve all experienced it right? Those annoying moments when it seems like your brain is on deep freeze. Can’t find a concept…can’t start a beat..can’t find that next hot line. Sometime ago I decided that I’d find a some ways to work though the drought. Here are five.
1. Write hooks and come back to them later. Don’t try to complete an entire song. Sometimes the hooks are the only thing you can get off at the moment. Why stay stuck on one tune when you can shoot of a dozen hot choruses that you can fill in later?
2. Listen to other shit. Sometimes just hearing a line from another artist can create an entirely different thread of thought. Use it for inspiration.
3. Write about someone else’s experiences. Most emcees feel that they have to live what they write about. I think this has contributed to the lack of imagination in hip hop and why after 3 albums, these dude don’t have anything else to talk about, and talk retirement. You’re a storyteller. It’s okay to write about the lives of others.
4. Take a break!! Sometimes you just need to let your mind reboot. Listen to your body. It may just be telling you to chill the fuck out. You’ll ending up forcing something out that you won’t like later on anyway.
5. WEED!!…………(just kidding!! 😉
I’d like to hear some of the ways you get through writers block.